As we all know, exotic leather is not cheap. If you have some exotic leather goodie then you'll also know, that is not something you pick up on a discount rack at your local shopping center right?. This type of leather needs proper care, they need to be clean and conditioned regularly but we know you know the importance of this.
Like a fragrant rose garden, your snakeskin wallet may look beautiful to the eye, but it needs to be nurtured if it’s going to keep its rich luster. Exotic leather is generally not as durable as standard cow leather due to the special membranes that keep it together and should be treated with proper care.
Why is it important to clean and condition exotic leather?
You finally bought that snakeskin belt you fell in love while window shopping the other day or maybe you bought those alligator shoes for someone special. After a while, these precious items can wear and tear if we don't keep a proper cleaning and conditioning. Remember the lifespan of these creatures's leather is not as high as cow leather. Even if you are careful to avoid too much sunlight and keep it away from sharp objects, you will still need to clean and condition your prized possession to prevent it from drying out and cracking.
Tips to protect your exotic leather
- If they get dirty, clean them. If a few months have passed by and they have not been touched up, clean them again, even if they don’t look physically dirty.
- Leather is a living material, and it breathes in the dirtiness that settles on it. How would you like to roll around in a month’s worth of dust without a wash? Without proper cleaning, before you condition your leather, dirt and debris may be sealed inside its pores.
- If your exotic leather bag is already fairly clean and only needs regular maintenance, just use a specially formulated conditioner for exotic leather.
- Stay away from alcohol based leather cleaners, as alcohol tends to dry out exotic leather more severely than cow-based leather.
How to clean and condition exotic leather
- After you have pretested, you are ready to clean your exotic leather.
- Apply a small amount of leather cleaner.
- Rub it in with a clean cloth in circular motions.
- Continue until you have cleaned the entire item.
- Finish by wiping the entire item with a clean cloth.
- Apply a small amount of leather conditioner to a clean cloth.
- Rub onto the leather in circular motions.
- Allow enough drying time and then gently buff the leather with a dry, clean cloth.
It is also essential to give your exotic leathers extra special care when storing them. They are best kept in an area that is dry and cool to help it keep its shape and beauty. Even if you do not use your exotic leather item for a while, it should be properly cleaned and conditioned to ensure its long term vitality every few months.