Leather handbags are a must-have accessory for every girl. These incredible leather handbags go well with every outfit. If you are willing to make an investment we can assure you this is one of the good ones and they also can last a lifetime if you care for them properly.
How To Clean Your Leather Handbag
Before cleaning your handbag, you need to identify what kind of leather it is made of and what finish it has. This will allow you to determine how best to care for it, which products to use, and ensure you do not destroy the material.
It is also important to note that you should only ever use special leather cleaners and products on your bag. Never use baby wipes or home remedies such as vinegar to try to clean your leather bag as they have chemicals and substances in them that can damage the material, ruin its color, and dry it out.
1. Step 1
Start with prevention to prevent damage to your bag. Protect your bag with a leather protection cream or treatment. This will give it an invisible barrier to repel stains and grease. Apply the treatment as soon as you buy your bag to defend it from day one, then apply every 2-3 months to keep it protected.
2. Step 2
Brush off any dust with a soft brush. Then, wipe the bag using a soft damp cloth to clean away any dirt, making sure to wipe with the grain of the leather so that you don’t spoil the material.
3. Step 3
Next, apply a specialist leather cleaner that is designed for use on the specific material of your bag. Spot test the cleaner first on an inconspicuous area of the bag to make sure it doesn’t affect the quality of the bag. Once you are happy that the cleaner works effectively, apply the cream with a soft sponge and repeat every 2-3 months.
You can also waterproof your bag to protect it from liquid damage and stains from snow and water simply wiping the area with a damp cloth to remove surface dirt, apply the waterproofing spray or gel, and buff and polish with a cloth once dry for long-lasting protection.
Here are some tips to keep your leather handbag in pristine condition:
- Keep your bag stuffed when you are not using it as this will help it hold its original shape.
- Don’t touch your bag after applying hand cream or moisturizer as this will leave grease stains and discolor the leather.
- Use a professional leather cleaning agent on tough dirt for best results. Take your bag to a professional cleaner if stains won’t budge.
- Use the dust bag when not using your bag to prevent dust and scuffs. If you did not receive a dust bag, a pillowcase will work just as well.
- Don’t leave your bag in direct sunlight as this can cause the color to fade.