If you have kids, then is highly probable you'll relate to this. Whenever we give treats to our kids and especially candy and chewing gum we know that is very possible that our precious leather goods might be facing some damage. Whether we are talking or sticky leather or chewing gum in our brand new leather couch there's always somewhere in our minds panicking. But, Here are a few quick, easy ways to remove chewing gum from leather that will leave your leather looking like new.
The two methods to get rid of the chewing gum that really works
The Ice Method
- First, take an ice cube and put it in a plastic bag.
- Put the ice cube on the area where the chewing gum is located for a few minutes to harden it and make it easier to remove.
- After the gum is hardened, grab some tool you have at hand that is hard and flat. It could be a credit card, a butter knife, a plastic spatula or a spoon.
- Scrape as much of the gum off as you can, but be careful while doing it. Remember not to stretch or scratch the leather with the tool.
- After you have removed all the chewing gum as you could, mix some warm water with mild soap.
- Stir the soapy water to make lots of suds. Then, take a clean washcloth and, using only the suds from the mixed soapy water, wipe the rest of the gum away and dry the area with another clean washcloth.
- Once you have finished getting all of the gum out, apply some leather conditioner.
The Peanut Butter Method
- Use natural peanut butter when all else fails (aka the ice method). If the oils and the butter have separated, mix them up. The oils are what break down the fiber of the gum and the butter facilitates a good coating.
- Only use a small amount of peanut butter as the oils can stain the leather if they are left on too long.
- Spread the peanut butter on the gum and let sit for a few minutes.
- Afterward, take a slightly damp, clean washcloth and wipe the peanut butter away.
- Immediately dry the area of any residual moisture from the washcloth.
- And last but not least, apply the leather conditioner as we previously mentioned.